Reflections...Confessions...Thoughts...Prayers...Worship

Friday, September 30, 2005

New Orleans to Bowling Green. . .

I was filled with a rush of different emotions last night as 3 of our staff members returned to Bowling Green after following God's voice to pack up and drive to New Orleans for 4 days. They returned with 10 people needing a place to live, food to eat, and clothes to wear. Our staff guys simply made the 20 hour trek to the gulf coast without any plan other than to see how they could help - and with the hopes of possibly bringing back a small family for our church to adopt for a few months.

They were overwhelmed with people needing a place to live - buying a used van to help transport as many people back as possible. I met the 10 people last night (ranging from grandparent to small child). At first, I was thrilled at the chance to help these people. I imagined the scenes I had witnessed on the tv from the crowded shelters and was glad that our church could rescue 10 people from this way of life. But, when I left to lead worship at our service last night, I was overtaken with a different emotion. I walked into the student union to see hundreds of people sitting around with food, laptops, ipods, and starbucks coffee. I was appalled at the fact that normal life can continue here while so many are hurting across the country. The families from New Orleans suddenly became more human to me. These are not simply people that needed "rescued." These are men, women, and children that have families, personalities, dreams, and life ambitions, yet all of their remaining earthly possessions are stuffed into 2 or 3 government provided net bags as they try to find a temporary home 20 hours from the wreckage of their houses- not even having clean clothes to wear.

I could not lead the h2o service last night as if everything was normal. Yet, worship seemed a little deeper for me as we sang about the hope that comes from God. I'm confident that this experience will change our church forever.

3 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I can imagine how much more humanized the tragedy in Louisiana would become when you're brought face-to-face with some of the victims. I think it's really cool that h2o has a heart to help with such a situation so far from its day-to-day existence. I can often be pushed into the lie that a church made up of young people can't do much to help with such a situation (i.e. a "community church" would be better suited for the task). But as you point out, college students can find money and time and energy for numerous other diversions that are none too inexpensive. I hope and pray that everything goes well with the family that you guys have now brought to BG...

1:33 PM

 
Blogger middle aged blogger said...

Jason - How old exactly are each of the children?

MA Blogger

9:09 AM

 
Blogger Jason Slack said...

girls: 9 and 8
boys: 7, 5, and 3

3:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home