Reflections...Confessions...Thoughts...Prayers...Worship

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Matter. . .

So here's what's been on my mind a lot lately. . .

What is it that I actually need in life? Sometimes I catch myself wanting much and confusing my want with need. And, is it bad to simply want?

Here are a few random thoughts associated with my dilemma:

I really want a Canon digital SLR camera that costs around $800. Lindsay has discovered a new passion for professional quality photography - photos for the h2o website, wedding candids, and nature. As it stands, we own a "point-and-shoot" 3.1 megapixel digital camera. It works fine, and the pictures are more than acceptable. We obviously don't need the nicer camera. But, we want it.

A friend of mine is leaving town for a year, and he just offered me the opportunity to "babysit" his 60 inch, flat screen, rear projection, high definition television. Have you ever seen a 60 inch television? Have you ever seen high definition? First of all, I'm not even sure that any wall in our apartment is 60 inches long. Second, we use rabbit ears for reception on our current t.v. It would be a complete tragedy to hook rabbit ears up to my friend's television.

My computer is slowly dying. As I type, a part of me fears that it will instantly shut off as it has done every day for the past week. Its days are numbered. So, I purchased a new (refurbished) computer from Dell yesterday that is much smaller and faster than this one. It should arrive in 3-5 business days. A secret part of me is very happy that this computer is shot.

I visited an old high school friend this past weekend. He owns a big house and just purchased a fast motorcycle (it's actually a large scooter, but his kids call it a motorcycle). He's learning to drive it and practicing for the motorcycle license exam.

Hassan Mula is 6 years old and lives in Kenya with her parents. Her entire community has been dramatically impacted by the HIV/AIDS pandemic. This crises affects the whole social structure as a generation of hardworking adults is being wiped out. Frightened children and exhausted grandparents rarely have money for food, school, or medical care. Hassan is not in school at this time. She likes to play with building blocks. She helps at home by carrying water. She is in satisfactory health.

Hassan's life helps me to put mine in perspective. "You have been a refuge for the poor, a refuge for the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat." Isaiah 25:4

Check out World Vision sometime. It may just help us to decipher between what we want and what we need.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bryan's Blog said...

Great thoughts!

1:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home