Reflections...Confessions...Thoughts...Prayers...Worship

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

not interested in church


passing out water bottles while the freshmen move in

In college ministry, we call this "blitz week." It is the first week of classes here at Bowling Green State University. It is the week when 3500 freshman make some important decisions that could shape their entire college experience. It is the week that we like to be as well-known as possible.

I was sitting in the student union this morning talking with anyone interested in our church on campus called h2o. As I was talking with one particular girl who was filling her arms with free stuff from our table (pens, cups, cd's, etc.), I asked her if she had ever heard of h2o. She proudly said yes and continued selecting from our free promotional material. I then asked her if she had ever been to our church that meets here in the union. She immediately put the freebies down and said, "h2o is a church? Oh, I don't like churches. No offense, I just have a real problem with people who go to church." I assured her that I wasn't offended and told her that she could still take the free stuff. I asked her to consider coming sometime to see if this church might be a little different than whatever church had given her a bad impression. She nodded and quickly walked away.

I guess that about sums up the typical college student these days. I am definitely in the right place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

A very interesting story... Typical, funny -- and sad. That young woman's story is still being written, though. I'm glad that you're there at BGSU.

3:08 AM

 
Blogger middle aged blogger said...

We are praying for you and your work!!!

God Bless from M and M!

9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home