Reflections...Confessions...Thoughts...Prayers...Worship

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

True Worship. . .

Daniel has become one of my favorite people in the Bible. Not only did he rise to the top of a government that took his country captive, but he did it by being stubborn -- by not obeying the government but trusting God instead. Daniel never gives in. His determination to follow God in the midst of the worst possible situation is so motivating to me.

I understand Daniel's determination just a little bit more when I read what happened to him in Daniel 10. After spending 3 weeks in constant prayer, he sees the preincarnate Jesus standing before him. At the sight of God, Daniel says ". . . I had no strength left, my face turned deathly pale and I was helpless. Then I heard him speaking, and as I listened to him, I fell into a deep sleep, my face to the ground." Daniel fainted when confronted with the experience of being in the presence of Jesus! An angel then comes to comfort him and bring him to his feet so he can hear all that God wants to say.

Sometimes I hear of people fainting because of an overwhelming fear, but I've also heard of runners in a race fainting at the finish line because they've given more than their bodies were able. This is the way I like to think of Daniel fainting before Jesus. He had spent so much time and discipline in prayer that when Jesus appeared, he had nothing left to give. The emotion, awe, joy, and beauty became unbearable for Daniel. This is how he viewed God. This is what motivated his determination to always follow Him. I long for this view of God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home