Reflections...Confessions...Thoughts...Prayers...Worship

Monday, June 20, 2005

Disc Golf is life. . .


hole 6 at Carter Park

Bowling Green's disc golf course is right outside the back door of my apartment. In fact, my balcony overlooks a portion of the course (except for the large tree blocking most of the view). With my sliding door open I can periodically hear the sound of a disc hitting the chains signifying a hole completed for some happy (or unhappy) disc-golfer. Sometimes a yell of excitement or a bellow of disappointment follows immediately after the sound of the chains - depending on whether the golfer's disc hit the chains and then rested in the basket or hit the chains and fumbled out of the basket.

I truly love this game. I used to love it simply for the fun times I had with friends while walking the course and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. I still love those things, but now I also enjoy going out by myself. I used to avoid playing solo-thinking it to be a waste of my time, but now I draw refreshment from these times out alone. My mind rarely thinks about anything else while I am on the course. I'm usually keeping track of my score in my head and planning the strategy of my next throw. I enjoy the break from having to think about anything significant. Everyone should consider finding an activity that allows this to happen.

Today was a little different, though. I shot a 6 under par for the front 9 holes (not a bad score, but certainly no record for me). My drives were fine, but I missed several close shots. I discovered that I become very timid when I'm throwing the disc from a range just outside of my comfort level. My chip shots come up short almost 100% of the time. I made the decision to go for every shot within my range. I promised myself I would not miss short of the basket - I would only miss long if I missed at all. This change in strategy did wonders for the back 9 holes. I made some extremely difficult shots and ended up with a score of minus 10 (on the back 9, it is tougher to shoot under par). For the first time ever, I thought about the parallels of disc golf and life. How often am I close to the goal but still outside of my comfort level? Do I allow myself to come up short - simply "laying it up" rather than going for the prize? I think my timidity in disc golf is similar to my timidity in life. Maybe I'll change my strategy. Maybe I'll be more aggressive - having confidence in my ability (and the gifts God has given me) and being more bold about the shots I take.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

I know exactly what you mean... about disc golf and about life. Well-spoken.

7:10 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home