Reflections...Confessions...Thoughts...Prayers...Worship

Thursday, June 23, 2005

faith. . .

For almost 15 years now I've had a very basic understanding of faith - at least as Paul uses the word in Romans 5:1, "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." I know that it is only through faith in Jesus, and not through our own efforts or actions, that we can be restored into a right relationship with God. I've read the scripture, heard teachings, and even given teachings on this type of faith.

But, what it does it mean to have specific faith for something - something completely independent of our right standing with God? I've heard people make bold claims that they have faith in God for a very specific thing. They may say, "I am believing God for the healing of my grandmother" or "I have faith that God will provide the exact amount of money we need right now." I still have much to learn about this sort of faith. Jesus told his disciples that their faith could move mountains, and that ". . . if you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." But, what does God's eternal plan have to do with my personal belief?

It's not that I doubt God's capabilities. In fact, I've seen Him do small miracles when I was least expecting it. His omnipotence is not an issue for me. My question arises more along the lines of His desire. It's much easier for me to say, "I believe God can heal my grandmother" rather than "I believe God will heal my grandmother." The difference between these two statements is colossal. At what point can we claim that we have faith not only in God's capabilities, but also in our understanding of His desires. As we grow closer and closer to the heart of God and the "deep things of God" we gain a better understanding of His will. We can learn more of His ways and understand more of His heart for us, but do we ever get so close that we know His next move?

What does it mean to have a faith goal - to ask for something enormous and expect that God will provide? What a vulnerable place to be. What if you expect it with all of your heart and He chooses not to provide it? How safe should we allow ourselves to be with God? Praying to God in faith is certainly not a formula for receiving what we want. Ultimately, we must somehow pray for what God wants.

"A man with leprosy came and knelt before him and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. "I am willing," he said. "Be clean!" Immediately he was cured of his leprosy." Matthew 8:2-3

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been praying some exact prayers lately. Actually, they've been for you. I'm not positive, but I don't really think my prayers have been answered yet. Or maybe they've been answered and it was just "No." I think I had faith when I asked, and I think I still do, but I don't feel rejected by God. I feel like a "No" from God is rarely a straight "No." Sometimes I feel like it's "No, I've got something much better planned, but I love that you ask." Hmmm... lot's of thoughts on faith, but nothing tangible I can just write down right now. Teach me the ways of your heart O Lord...

8:39 AM

 
Blogger Jason Slack said...

Thanks for your comment and for your prayers, Jeremy. Lindsay and I had a good talk this morning about God's plan and our ability to influence it through prayer. Is it that His will includes our prayers for specific things? Perhaps He accomplishes His will without us, but when we are closest to Him we get the joy of praying for something within His plan and then seeing it fulfilled.

I love your idea that God is saying "No, I've got something much better planned, but I love that you ask." I have not felt rejected by God either. My questions don't come with His sovereignty or even His goodness and love, but with our ability (as inconsequential humans) to know the very specific things that He wants.

5:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home